By D. Douglas Caulkins, Ann T. Jordan
The 1st finished advisor to anthropological reviews of complicated organizations• bargains the 1st complete connection with the anthropological examine of complicated organizations
• information how organizational concept and study in enterprise has followed anthropology’s key thought of tradition, inspiring new insights into organizational dynamics and development
• Highlights pioneering theoretical views starting from symbolic and semiotic techniques to neuroscientific frameworks for learning modern organizations
• Addresses the comparative and cross-cultural dimensions of firm companies and of non-governmental firms operating within the globalizing economy
• themes lined contain organizational dynamics, entrepreneurship, innovation, social networks, cognitive types and group development, organizational dysfunctions, international networked businesses, NGOs, unions, digital groups, company tradition and social responsibility
• provides a physique of labor that displays the breadth and intensity of the sector of organizational anthropology and makes the case for the significance of the sphere within the anthropology of the twenty-first century
Read or Download A Companion to Organizational Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best culture books
A clear-sighted revelation, a deep penetration into the area of Scientology by means of the Pulitzer Prize-winning writer of The Looming Tower, the now-classic examine of al-Qaeda’s Sept. 11 assault. in response to greater than 2 hundred own interviews with current and previous Scientologists—both recognized and no more good known—and years of archival study, Lawrence Wright makes use of his outstanding investigative skill to discover for us the interior workings of the Church of Scientology.
Political swap doesn’t regularly commence with a bang; it usually starts off with only a whisper. From the discussions round kitchen tables that resulted in the dismantling of the Soviet bloc to the more moderen emergence of net projects like MoveOn. org and Redeem the Vote which are revolutionizing the yank political panorama, consequential political existence develops in small areas the place discussion generates political strength.
From sophisticated discrimination in way of life, to horrors like lynching within the outdated South, cultural imperialism, and "ethnic cleansing", racism exists in lots of various varieties, in nearly each side of society. regardless of civil rights hobbies and different makes an attempt at growth, racial prejudices and stereotypes stay deeply embedded in Western tradition.
Whereas the development of structure has a spot in architectural discourse, its destruction, often noticeable as incompatible with the very thought of "culture," has been missed in theoretical and historic dialogue. Responding to this forget, Herscher examines the case of the previous Yugoslavia and specifically, Kosovo, the place concentrating on structure has been a sought after size of political violence.
- Culture of Animal Cells: A Manual of Basic Technique and Specialized Applications 6th (sixth) Edition by Freshney, R. Ian (2010)
- n+1, Issue 20: Survival (Fall 2014)
- Memes in Digital Culture (The MIT Press Essential Knowledge Series)
- The Atlantic (October 2015)
Extra info for A Companion to Organizational Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
Good to Great and the Social Sector. Boulder, CO: Jim Collins. Collins, J. and Porras, J. (1994). Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies. New York: HarperCollins. L. A. (1991). Middle management and quality control: strategies for obstructionism. Human Organization, 50, 61–65. V. (2010). Intel’s cultural anthropologist. htm (accessed Sept. 21, 2010). Cross, M. and Payne, G. (eds), (1991). Work and the Enterprise Culture. London, UK: The Falmer Press. , and Wilkinson, S. (2009).
This is the “glocal” (the global in the local) described by Ritzer (2007) (see also Schuller 2009). Consequently, anthropologists who have never considered themselves to be organizational anthropologists ﬁnd themselves analyzing complex organizations, be they nation-state governments or NGOs, in their analysis of the local. University-based anthropologists conduct research that places them in contact with NGOs involved at their research site or NGOs that may in fact be funding their research. Anthropologists conducting research in a location considered a traditional one for an anthropologist, for instance a village in East Africa rather than the ﬂoor of the New York Stock Exchange, frequently ﬁnd their analysis must include the role 10 ANN T.
Ofem, Floyd, and Borgatti (see Chapter 6, Social Networks and Organizations) provide a discussion of the social network approach in organizations and describe the “ethnographic sandwich” in their methodology, which puts the quantitative study between two layers of ethnography. The authors note that the output diagrams of networks are interesting for the participants in the study, making it productive to discuss the preliminary results. Of course, anthropologists have always mixed their signature qualitative techniques with quantitative ones so popular in the other social sciences.